Product Release and Production Manager
Position Overview: Manages and provides leadership in all areas required by the production team. Offers recommendations to Product Development Team for increases in efficiency (output) and for cost reduction opportunities. The Production Manager also ensures the proper utilization of labor by coordinating staffing levels with production planning and scheduling and human resources. The organization of these resources is necessary to ensure that production outputs are maintained to strict timetables, to standard operating procedures (SOP’s), and quality assurance standards. Maintaining output may involve the Production Manager requesting assistance or coordinating the activities of personnel from other departments. Monitoring production output and predicting potential missed deadlines or other machinery breakdowns or material shortages is a critical part of this job. You must enjoy spending time in product development to understand any issues or production problems, and find innovative solutions to ensure the transition of a product from ideation to production.
- Has primary responsibility for ensuring cost effective production of product
- Ensures that all working conditions within the Production area are safe and free from hazards. Ensures that all appropriate training has been provided to production personnel and that all safety procedures are followed. Responsible to ensure that unsafe acts or conditions are not permitted and if observed are corrected immediately
- Ensures that all subordinates are properly trained on Standard Operating Procedures that directly affect their responsibilities and are following these operating procedures.
- Responsible for controlling and minimizing production costs. Takes ownership in looking for cost reduction opportunities and works closely with Product Development Team and production personnel in generating cost reduction opportunities. Pursues approval of cost reduction opportunities and implements appropriate approved action.
- Prototype and create samples for custom orders which includes:
- Management of production of product from product development samples
- Management of deboss/laser as required
- Management of assembly/sewing etc.
- Documentation of process and creation of “Gold Standards”
- Responsible for ensuring optimal utilization of production labor and machinery.
- Make recommendations for production machinery that will cut production costs and increase efficiencies
- Train personnel on use of machinery and new or updated methods of producing products
- Conducts root cause incident investigations and helps determine and implement necessary corrective actions.
- Performs and / or participates in management duties such as: interviewing and selecting personnel, training and development, motivation, goal setting, evaluation, corrective actions.
- Notifies Planner/Buyer/Scheduler Manager of raw material needs in a timely manner to minimize any expedited costs and allow for appropriate inventory levels to be maintained.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Minimum 2 years combined college and work experience or equivalent required. Experience in a leather manufacturing environment desirable.
- Demonstrated knowledge of leather sewing in a manufacturing environment
- Have worked closely with New Product Development team
- Effective leadership skills
- Knowledge of processes and standards of manufacturing required
- 4 years previous supervisory experience within a production or manufacturing environment is required
- Analytical and business math skills
- Working knowledge of production systems and total computer literacy skills
- Process improvement techniques
- Effective communication skills
- Effective organizational and planning skills
- Effective interpersonal skills
Physical Activities: Physical activity includes climbing, balancing, bending, stooping, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, lifting (up to 55 lbs.), hearing, talking, repetitive motion, and moving objects up to 100 lbs. (typically with help).